Location: Rwanda | Deadline to Apply: May 24, 2019
Bridges to Prosperity is driven by a commitment to honesty, directness, transparency and hard work– balanced with humor, teamwork and humility.
Bridges to Prosperity has connected over 1 million people around the world with save access and life-changing services such as healthcare, education and market opportunities by building bridges. Since 2001, we have trained community members and local engineers how to build bridges in their own communities, hoping one day to put ourselves out of a job. In the meantime, our team is growing and we hope you will join us. With programs currently in Bolivia, Rwanda, and Uganda, our agile Denver team supports a global operation.
The Safety Fellow will help to sustain and grow the culture of safety at Bridges to Prosperity. Including on-site inspections, procedural creation and implementation, and organizational safety review – the safety fellow will help to evolve safety within the organization.
This position is full time, lasting 6 to 12 months with a monthly stipend provided for the successful applicant. Work related expenses will be covered when travelling outside Kigali.
The Safety Fellow will distill (from the past), curate (in the present) and organize (going forward) the culture, programmatic systems and workflow of safety at Bridges to Prosperity. Specifically, this position will focus on the following:
- Foster an open and enthusiastic work environment with team members in order to drive Bridges to Prosperity’s safety culture
- Promote compliance with Bridges to Prosperity Health and Safety Policy
- Create and lead new safety trainings for all Rwanda Program staff
- Visit bridge sites regularly to monitor and promote safety compliance
- Report on build safety execution to Rwanda Program Director and Senior Programs Manager. Work with organization to create procedural change, if need arrives during the build season
- Maintain and develop relations with collaborating staff
- Support the execution of the Bridges to Prosperity Safety Audit
- Maintain in depth understanding of the Bridge Builder Manual and construction methods
- Update Rwanda Industry construction and safety documents to match existing construction techniques and safety policy for internal/external use
- Using Taroworks and Salesforce, work with Senior Programs Manager to manage safety-reporting system. Review Incident and Near hit reports and conduct investigations. Assist in tracking the trends of on and off-site incidents and implement changes identified within incident investigations to reduce the number of safety incidents
- Strive to ensure each and every individual at Bridges to Prosperity has the proper safety in construction training, construction equipment, and safety equipment
The Safety Fellow will report to the Rwanda Program Director and Senior Programs Manager.
The successful candidate will be able to assess organizational construction and safety processes as well as adapt to and manage change. This person will also assist in the implementation of Bridges to Prosperity’s construction and safety training program of staff, community members, and volunteers. The ideal candidate would be a professional, who has spent time on construction projects and has an interest in international development.
You’re self-motivated: You see something that can be improved, and you don’t wait for permission to address it. You have a strong desire to make Bridges to Prosperity a world-leader in construction and safety.
You hold your weight on a small team that handles a lot: We’re a small and efficient staff; because of our size, every person plays an essential role in the organization.
You communicate well: You can articulate issues to team members and clearly convey how your solutions will work to address the issues we face.
You’re agile and pragmatic: You like getting things done, are disciplined about time management, and consider yourself a remover of obstacles.
- Three to five years prior experience in the construction field, safety role, and/or construction management field
- Safety training certifications including OSHA certifications or similar
- Strong project management skills and experience
- Technical competency in design concepts and understanding construction plans
- Demonstrated excellence creating and implementing programmatic systems, teamwork and internal leadership
- Clear, concise and efficient communication within team and excellent interpersonal skills
- International experience preferred, cultural sensitivity required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Construction Management or OHS related diploma/degree
- Passion for B2P’s mission
The position is based in Kigali, Rwanda although requires regular travel to and time spent in rural locations.
The position involves splitting time between field management and Kigali-based administration.
The position may require participation in physically demanding construction related tasks.